Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Pattern Mixing ~ My New Favorite

Well, I HAD a post all typed up yesterday, saved in my drafts (or so I thought), ready to publish today and when I went to retrieve it it was G-O-N-E gone!! Aaaaahhhhh!! Frustrating! Has that ever happened to you? So here I sit trying to recreate what I had created last night...

When Marion of Marionberry Style announced the Trend of the Month Challenge for August was going to be pattern mixing I was beyond excited! Pattern mixing is one of my favorite current trends. I love how something that was a fashion no-no a few years ago is now a big fashion do! Pattern mixing makes dressing more fun and interesting and it also expands your wardrobe because you can make pairings you never would have dared to before.

After scouring my closet for the right mix for today's challenge, and not coming up with anything I hadn't already blogged before, I decided to give myself another challenge. I took twenty dollars and headed out to my favorite thrift store. My self-imposed challenge? To find either a piece that would mix with something already in my closet to create a whole new look or to find totally new pieces that would mix together all while staying under twenty dollars. I spent about an hour pulling out and trying on everything and anything I thought would work and this is what I came away with...for the bargain price of $19.26! Score! Both challenges complete!

These shorts are J.Crew and still had the original tags! I love the beautiful bold floral pattern, the loose fit, the just-right length and the heavy weight of the fabric. This shirt is Gap and is the perfect thin pink stripe to mix with the pink in the shorts. My clutch, shoes and accessories are all things I pulled from my closet.

Savvy Style Tip: When mixing patterns pick one color from the more dominate patterned piece (in this case, the pink in the shorts) and match this color in your next piece. When you do this the outfit flows, even though the patterns don't "match", and makes it an outfit instead of looking like you got dressed in the dark! I did the same thing with the leopard clutch, I matched it to the brown in the shorts and even though the patterns don't "match" they go!

What do you think about the pattern mixing trend? Do you mix your patterns? If you don't, give it a try! It's really fun and it may become your favorite new trend too!

Today I'm linking up with Marionberry Style, Rolled Up Pretty and The Pleated Poppy!

Have a savvy and stylish day!

<3 Mz Savvy Style

17 comments:

Maria said...

This outfit looks great! I like mixing patterns on others but I have yet to try it myself!

Unknown said...

A pretty good match. And your shoes is fabulous!

Mary, MI

Lindsay said...

Love that you gave yourself a budget and worked within it. Love the whole combo and the shorts were such a great find!

Unknown said...

Love the J.Crew shorts!

TaraMixandMatch said...

I love those shorts, and the animal print clutch is so fun!

Mia Maree said...

Those shorts are great!! So pretty. And your hair is gorgeous! What a fun look!

Style-Delights said...

Love this outfit..and ur tip about picking up the dominant color for mixing the patterns! These sandals are so chic too! BTW, just found out your blog via real girl glam and I am your newest follower on GFC. I'd love if you could visit my blog sometimes:-) Hope you are having a wonderful day!
-Jyoti
Style-Delights Blog
Style-Delights on Bloglovin

Mz Savvy Style said...

Give it a try!! It's a really fun trend!

Mz Savvy Style said...

Thanks! XO

Mz Savvy Style said...

Thank you so much! I had a lot of fun putting this together.

Mz Savvy Style said...

Thanks! I was so excited to find them!

Mz Savvy Style said...

Thanks! Thank you too for stopping by my blog!

Mz Savvy Style said...

Thank you!

Mz Savvy Style said...

Thank you! I'm so happy you found my blog! I'm heading over to yours right now.

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

Those printed shorts are awesome!

Megan, TfDiaries.com said...

you look gorgeous Xo Megan

still being [molly] said...

ah SOOOO pretty! those shorts are STUNNING!!